​​​​​​​​​​Are all of the courthouses open?​

YES. However, some temporary changes have been made to the way the courts are handling cases, including whether or not all parties are required to be present in court.  Please see Information by Case Type​, for more specific information for your type of case.​

How do I find my court date?

The Kane County Circuit Clerk’s Office has sent notices to everyone with open cases containing next court date information.  Court date information is also available on the Kane County Circuit Clerk's website, or you can call the Kane County Circuit Clerk’s Office at (630) 232-3413.

You can also go to the Court Notification​ link on the Kane County Circuit Clerk’s website and, using your case number, sign up to receive text or email notifications of upcoming court dates.

Am I required to come to court?​​

If you are represented by a lawyer, you should contact your lawyer’s office to find out if you are personally required to appear on your next court date.

If you are representing yourself in court, you may contact the Kane County Circuit Clerk’s Office at (630) 232-3413, or go to In-person or Remote/Zoom Court Schedules​ ​to see if you are personally required to appear on your next court date.

Is it safe to come to court? What should I expect when I go to court?

For everyone’s safety, all people entering a courthouse in Kane County will be required to have their temperature taken, answer health screening questions, and wear a mask/face covering.  You are strongly urged to provide your own mask/face covering.  Available masks/face coverings at each location will be extremely limited.

All Kane County Courthouses have been modified to allow for required social distancing to protect the health and safety of both the courthouse staff and members of the public. (Watch videos​ about the 16th Judicial Circuit's reaction to COVID-19 created by Kane County judges.)

Do I need to wear a mask/face covering when I come to court?

YES.  See General Order 20-24​​, Illinois Supreme Court M.R. 30370​ (8/27/2020)

See the​ Illinois State Department of Human Rights website for their FAQ for Businesses Concerning Use of Face-Coverings During COVID-19​​

If I am in a hallway or the cafeteria and nobody is around, may I take off my mask/face covering?

NO.  If you are in a public space, you need to wear your mask/face covering. Someone may come out of a courtroom, an office, the elevators, or otherwise walk up on you unexpectedly. You may remove your mask/face covering while eating or drinking in the cafeteria as long as you respect social distancing guidelines. ​

What if I medically can't wear a mask?

Reasonable accommodations will be provided for individuals with medical conditions or disabilities that prevent them from safely wearing masks/face coverings. An individual who is not able to tolerate a mask/face covering due to a medical condition or disability, should contact the Kane County Judicial Center's ​Court's Accessibility Coordinator​ as soon as possible in advance of the scheduled court proceeding, so that appropriate, reasonable accommodations can be made​. General Order 20-24​

Who or what should I bring with me when I come to court?

You should bring with you only items needed for court and only those persons who are required to be present for your case. Anyone who is not required to be present in court may be required to wait outside the building. Please bring your own pens and paper.  ​

Will there be childcare available at the courthouse?

YES. There is free, short-term supervised childcare available by reservation only for court goers at the Kane County Judicial Center. Call the Kane County Children's Waiting Room​​ at (630) 232-3954 to make a reservation. Online reservations are coming soon.

Can my landlord evict me?

“A person or entity may not commence a residential eviction action pursuant to or arising under 735 ILCS 5/9-101 et seq. against a Covered Person unless that person poses a direct threat to the health and safety of other tenants or an immediate and severe risk to property."  Executive Order 20-72

How do I know if I am a Covered Person?

The definition is found in Executive Order 20-72, Section 1.a.​

Where do I find the Declaration form?

You may find the Declaration form here on the Illinois Housing Development Authority website.​

Do I still have to pay rent or my mortgage?

YES. You are still obligated to pay rent or make mortgage payments  Executive Order 20-72

For answers to frequently asked questions about evictions, read this page issued by the Illinois Housing Development Authority​.

If I am trying to evict someone after November 14, 2020​, what do I need to attach to the court filing?

You will need to attach a copy of the eviction notice or demand, including any affidavits or other proof of service.  If the eviction is based on a breach of written lease (735 ILCS 5/9-210​), you will need to attach a copy of the lease or the relevant portions of the lease.  Illinois Supreme Court Rule 139​, Practice and Procedure in Eviction Cases​.​​

What do I need to do to participate in a Zoom court hearing?​

Install the Zoom application (from your mobile device's app store or from the Zoom Dowload Center​) onto your internet enabled mobile device or computer.  You do NOT need to purchase software or cameras. To attend court remotely, go to the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit Court's website at: https://www.illinois16thjudicialcircuit.org  and select the Attend a Remote Court Hearing link.  For step-by-step instructions please read: How to Use Zoom for Court | Como Utilizar Zoom en el Tribunal​

From what devices may I access Zoom?

You may access Zoom from any computer, smart phone, or mobile device that has internet access.

W​hat if I don't have internet access to attend a Zoom court hearing?

The Kane County Law Library & Self Help Legal Center has 10​ Zoom access points available for the public to use to attend court hearings. They also have open wi-fi so you may access internet from your own device. You may also check with your local public library (list of local public libraries​) to see if they have hotspots to lend or a computer you may use.  A friend or family member may also allow you to use their internet connected device to attend a Zoom court hearing.   ​​

When can I get married at a Kane County Courthouse?

​The Chief Judge has postponed the reopening of the courts for marriages/civil unions indefinitely.  So there will be NO COURTHOUSE MARRIAGE OPTION UNTIL LATER IN THE YEARCouples are encouraged to call 630-232-5950 to get answers to any questions you may have about trying to get married at the courthouses in Kane County or to visit the webpage about Marriages​.